These brown butter blondies are filled with chocolate chips, pecans, and homemade caramel! With a crispy exterior and gooey center, they're sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and browned
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (1/3 cup for thicker caramel)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Warning: do not walk away from your caramel because it will probably burn the second you walk away from it (trust me).
In a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, add the sugar and stir every 1-2 minutes or so until it begins to melt (the sugar will start to clump up before melting).
- Once the sugar is completely melted, immediately remove from the heat and stir in the butter until combined (don't be scared if it bubbles a lot).
- Add in the heavy cream and salt and mix until fully combined and smooth.
- Pour the caramel into a glass jar to cool. Can be stored in the fridge for up to a month!
- Brown the butter: In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, stir frequently and watch closely for the formation of brown specs on the bottom of the pan and a nutty aroma. Once you see brown specs, stir for just a few more seconds (it browns super quickly). Remove from the heat and immediately pour into a different bowl to prevent it from burning.
If you don't want to use browned butter you can just used melted butter.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line your cake pan with parchment paper.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream the brown butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract and beat until light, fluffy, and pale in color.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until thoroughly combined. The dough should be wet and sticky.
- Using a spoon or spatula, mix in the chocolate chips and pecan pieces.
- Scoop half of the dough into the bottom of your prepared pan and press down into a nice even layer (you can wet the tips of your fingers to easily flatten out the dough).
- Drizzle a layer of the caramel sauce evenly over the dough (about 1/2 cup).
- Scoop the remaining dough on top of the caramel layer and press down into an even layer. Sprinkle some extra pecans or chocolate chips on top if you're feeling crazy.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until the top is shiny and cracked slightly. The blondies should feel slightly firm to the touch.
- Let the blondies cool in the baking pan for 10 minutes. Remove the blondies from the baking pan and cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars.
- Drizzle some more caramel on top and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 blondie
- Calories: 595
- Sugar: 48g
- Sodium: 231.9mg
- Fat: 33.5g
- Saturated Fat: 18.1g
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 106.1mg
Keywords: Blondies, Salted Caramel, Turtle Blondies