Shakshuka is one of my favorite healthy meals! It's great for breakfast, brunch, or weeknight dinners! It's super easy to make and full of flavor! At its core, shakshuka is just eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce that originates in North Africa/the Middle East. I usually make classic shakshuka with tomatoes, but I recently had a ton of tomatillos from the farmers market that I needed to use up so I decided to make the green tomatillo shakshuka. And it is so so good!
I always use my Lodge cast iron* to make shakshuka because it's the perfect size. But just note that you should never cook highly acidic dishes in a brand new cast iron! Mine is very old and well seasoned so I have no problem cooking tomato dishes in it.
My favorite way to eat this tomatillo shakshuka is by scooping it up with a big piece of homemade sourdough bread, but any crusty bread is delicious!
If you make this tomatillo shakshuka, please leave us a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-3 jalapenos, diced (more or less to taste)
- ¼ cup white cooking wine, optional
- 10 large tomatillos, husks removed and quartered
- 2 cups lacinato kale, roughly chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-4 eggs
- goat cheese
- lime wedges
- crusty bread
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, garlic, and jalapenos and saute for 5-7 minutes until aromatic and beginning to brown.
- Add in the white wine to de-glaze the pan, making sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Then add in the tomatillos and reduce the heat to medium-low. Allow the sauce to simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until the tomatillos break down and the sauce begins to thicken.
- Stir in the chopped kale, parsley, and cilantro and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Make small wells in the sauce and add your eggs. Cook the eggs to your desired level of doneness.
- Top with goat cheese and avocado and serve with a big slice of crusty bread!
More Vegetarian Recipes
Browse more vegetarian recipes →