This homemade gingerbread spice mix is a warming blend of spices that's perfect for holiday treats from cookies, to cakes, to lattes! It also makes a great DIY gift for Christmas!
This gingerbread spice is similar to my pumpkin pie spice mix, it's just a lot heavier on the ginger! So even though they're similar, they have very different flavor profiles.
You just need 6 spices for this homemade gingerbread spice mix!
Adjust the spice mix to your liking by reducing or increasing the quantities of certain spices. Ground anise is another spice you can add or it can be substituted for cardamom.
Make sure all the spices you're using are fresh so that your gingerbread spice blend stays fresher longer!
How to Make Gingerbread Spice
This hardly counts as a recipe, because all you have to do is mix together all the spices!
I like to sift everything together 2-3 times to make sure it's well combined and doesn't have any clumps.
Then transfer to an airtight container (like a small glass jar) and store with the rest of your spices for up to a year!
Most spices will last 2-3 year if stored properly, but they do lose their potency over time. So I recommend replacing your spices every year! If you use fresh spices, this gingerbread spice blend should stay fresh for at least a year!
If a recipe calls for "gingerbread spice" you can use this spice blend in the exact amount listed! But if a recipe calls for a list of spices (like 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, ½ tsp ginger, and ½ tsp cloves) you can simply add together all the spices and use the total amount of gingerbread spice (so 4 tsp gingerbread spice in this example).
How to Use Gingerbread Spice
There are so many fun ways to use this gingerbread spice blend!
- Holiday baking! From classic gingerbread cookies and cupcakes, to macarons and more!
- Spice up classic desserts! You can dress up banana bread, coffee cake, or muffins with a pinch of gingerbread spice.
- Add to drinks! This gingerbread spice adds some great Christmasy flavor to drinks like a spiced latte, hot chocolate, or eggnog!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. And if you want more delicious, scratch-made recipes you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Gingerbread Spice Mix
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom , optional
- Sift together all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a year.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
tell us what you think!