This post is sponsored by Florida Crystals®, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Barley & Sage possible! As you know, we only partner with brands that we believe in and wholeheartedly recommend!
These light and fluffy ombre waffles are naturally colored with freeze dried strawberries and topped with homemade strawberry syrup and whipped cream! They're perfect for your Valentine's Day brunch!
let’s talk sugar
In this recipe I use two different types of Florida Crystals® sugar! I used Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar in the waffles and strawberry syrup, and Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar for the whipped cream!
Florida Crystals® is perfect for baking because it’s 100% organic, non-GMO, and grown at a sustainable farm in the United States (it’s the only organic cane sugar grown and harvested in the US). I try to always use the highest quality ingredients in my recipes and Florida Crystals® is certainly no exception!
How to Make Ombre Waffles
- Cook the first waffle with the plain waffle batter.
- Then add in a small amount of the strawberry powder until the color changes slightly, then cook the next waffle.
- Keep adding in a small amount of strawberry powder before each new waffle.
- For two stacks, add in more powder after every two waffles, etc.
You can read more about making your own natural food coloring here!
More Valentine's Day Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. And if you want more delicious, scratch-made recipes you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Ombre Strawberry Waffles
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Florida Crystals Organic Powdered Cane Sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, Florida Crystals Organic Raw Cane Sugar, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla and then add to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined (it’s okay if the batter is still a little lumpy).
- Heat your waffle iron and spray with a non-stick pan spray, then pour the waffle batter onto the hot iron and cook according to manufacturer's instructions. Repeat with the remaining waffle batter. Note: most waffle makers will cook your waffles in about 4-5 minutes.
- Keep your waffles warm and crispy by placing them on a baking sheet in the oven set to about 200°F. Waffles are best eaten the same day.
- For the ombre waffle effect: cook the first waffle with the plain waffle batter. Then add in a small amount of the strawberry powder until the color changes slightly, then cook the next waffle. Keep adding in a small amount of strawberry powder before each new waffle. For two stacks, add in more powder after every two waffles, etc.
- Place the strawberries and water in a medium sized saucepan over low heat.
- Let them simmer gently for about 15-20 minutes or until the strawberries are soft and have lost most of their color. The water should be deep red in color.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the strawberry water into a separate pot and discard the strawberries.
- Bring the strawberry water up to a boil and simmer until it has reduced by about half (roughly ½ cup).
- Add in the Florida Crystals Organic Raw Cane Sugar and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and let cool completely to room temperature.
- Store the syrup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or a large bowl and hand mixer, combine the whipping cream, Florida Crystals Organic Powdered Sugar, and vanilla.
- Beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.