This blood orange bourbon smash is light, bright, and citrusy! Garnished with fresh blood oranges and mint, it's a beautiful cocktail for any occasion!
What is a Bourbon Smash?
A smash is a simple, variable cocktail that doesn't have a super set definition.
Typically a smash cocktail includes some type of liquor, fresh fruit, and sugar served over crushed ice. Often a smash cocktail is also topped with soda or ginger beer. The options are endless!
I love a bourbon smash, but you can swap it out with whatever liquor you prefer!
You just need a couple simple ingredients for this blood orange bourbon smash!
- Bourbon - You can use your favorite bourbon or whiskey, or swap it out with vodka or gin!
- Blood Oranges - The beautiful blood oranges are the star of this cocktail! However, any type of oranges (or other citrus like lemon or grapefruit) would work just as well.
- Simple Syrup - You can add as little or as much simple syrup as you like but it's totally optional if you prefer a less sweet cocktail!
- Angostura Bitters - I like to add a dash or two of either aromatic or orange bitters to add a bit of complexity and enhance the flavor of the blood oranges, but you can leave them out if you prefer!
- Club Soda - I like to top this bourbon smash with a bit of soda water, but it's also delicious with ginger beer!
- Mint - I love the flavor of fresh mint with blood oranges!
How to Make Simple Syrup
I always make my own simple syrup for cocktails because it's so easy and paying for it seems silly to me! You can also add in different herbs or fruit for a delightfully flavored simple syrup.
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- leftover blood orange peels (optional)
- Add the sugar and water to a small saucepan over medium heat. If desired, add in the orange peel as well.
- Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Let cool completely to room temperature, then strain into a glass jar and seal tightly with a lid.
- Store in the fridge for up to a month!
This is a great way to add some extra blood orange flavor to your bourbon smash!
Cocktail Serving Tips
I like to serve this bourbon smash in a rocks glass with crushed ice and garnish with blood orange slices and fresh mint.
It's worth noting that crushed ice melts pretty quickly, so if you're a slow drinker you'll want to opt for a large block of ice!
More Cocktail Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. And if you want more delicious, scratch-made recipes you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Blood Orange Bourbon Smash
- 2 blood orange slices
- 4 mint leaves
- 2 shakes orange bitters, optional
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 2 ounces blood orange juice
- ½ ounce blood orange simple syrup, more or less to taste
- 2 ounces soda water, substitute ginger beer
- crushed ice
- blood orange slices
- mint leaves
- Place the blood orange slices, mint, and bitters into the bottom of a cocktail shaker. Use a muddler to gently crush the oranges and mint to release the juices.
- Fill the shaker halfway with ice and add in the bourbon, blood orange juice, and simple syrup. Then gently shake until combined and chilled.
- Strain into a glass with crush ice and top with soda.
- Garnish with a blood orange slice and fresh mint and enjoy!!
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.