I always love a good margarita, but this grapefruit paloma is actually my preferred way to drink tequila! It's a simple, refreshing alternative to most other tequila based cocktails. Once you try a paloma, I promise you'll be sipping on them all summer long!
- Tequila - My favorite tequila for cocktails is 1800 Silver Tequila but you can use whatever you prefer!
- Grapefruit Soda - This is the best part of a paloma in my opinion! Paloma's are typically made with Mexican soda like Jarritos, but you can also just use a mix of club soda and grapefruit juice.
- Simple Syrup - You can add as little or as much simple syrup as you like! Depending on what type of grapefruit soda you get, the sweetness may vary. So I always taste first and then add in simple syrup.
How to Make Grapefruit Simple Syrup
I always make my own simple syrup for cocktails because it's so easy and paying for it seems silly to me! You can also add in different herbs or fruit for a delightfully flavored simple syrup. Since we have leftover grapefruit peels from squeezing out the grapefruit juice, you can just add those in!
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- grapefruit peels (optional)
- Add the sugar, water, and leftover grapefruit peels to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Let cool completely to room temperature, then strain into a glass jar and seal tightly with a lid.
- Store in the fridge for up to a month!
Cocktail Serving Tips!
I love my palomas on the rocks with a salt rim! To make a salt rim, rub a small amount of grapefruit juice or simple syrup along the edge of your glass. Pour a small amount of margarita salt (or kosher salt) on a plate and gently press the edges of the glass into the salt.
More Cocktail Recipes!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. And if you want more delicious, scratch-made recipes you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce grapefruit juice
- ½ ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces grapefruit soda, substitute club soda
- ½ ounce simple syrup, optional
- margarita salt
- crushed ice
- grapefruit slices
- Stir together the tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and soda. Taste and add simple syrup if desired.
- Pour into a salted-rimmed glass full of crushed ice. Garnish with a grapefruit slice.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.