A light, refreshing Moscow mule is one of my favorite cocktails!! I decided to dress up the classic by swapping out the limes and mint for blood oranges and fresh thyme for this tangy blood orange Moscow mule!
- Blood Oranges - The beautiful blood oranges are the star of this cocktail! However, any type of oranges (or other citrus like lemon or grapefruit) would work just as well.
- Fresh Thyme - I just love the flavor of fresh thyme with blood oranges, but mint or rosemary would also be delicious!
- Simple Syrup - You can add as little or as much simple syrup as you like but it's totally optional if you prefer a more sour cocktail!
- Vodka - I used Ketel One Botanicals Peach & Orange Blossom vodka because I had it at home and it was absolutely amazing!! But any regular or citrus vodka would be delicious!
- Ginger Beer - Is it even a Moscow mule without ginger beer?? (Not to be confused with ginger ale).
- Orange Bitters - I like to add a dash or two of orange bitters to add a bit of complexity and enhance the flavor of the blood oranges, but you can leave them out if you prefer!
How to Make Blood Orange Simple Syrup
I always make my own simple syrup for cocktails because it's so easy and paying for it seems silly to me! You can also add in different herbs or fruit for a delightfully flavored simple syrup.
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- 5 blood orange slices (optional)
- Add the sugar, water, and blood orange slices to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Let cool completely to room temperature, then strain into a glass jar and seal tightly with a lid.
- Store in the fridge for up to a month!
More Cocktail Recipes!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. And if you want more delicious, scratch-made recipes you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Blood Orange Thyme Moscow Mule
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce blood orange simple syrup, see post for instructions
- 1 ounce blood orange juice, about ½ orange
- 3 ounces ginger beer
- 1 dash orange bitters, optional
- blood orange slices
- fresh thyme
- Place 1-2 blood orange slices and a sprig of thyme into a glass. Use a muddler to gently crush the orange slices and thyme.
- Fill the glass halfway with ice. Pour the vodka, blood orange juice, and simple syrup over the ice and then fill the glass with ginger beer. Gently stir to combine.
- Top with a dash of orange bitters if desired and garnish with more blood orange slices and fresh thyme.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Browse more drink recipes →