A light, refreshing Moscow mule is one of my favorite cocktails!! I decided to dress up the classic by swapping out the limes and mint for blood oranges and fresh thyme for this tangy blood orange Moscow mule!
- Blood Oranges - The beautiful blood oranges are the star of this cocktail! However, any type of oranges (or other citrus like lemon or grapefruit) would work just as well.
- Fresh Thyme - I just love the flavor of fresh thyme with blood oranges, but mint or rosemary would also be delicious!
- Simple Syrup - You can add as little or as much simple syrup as you like but it's totally optional if you prefer a more sour cocktail!
- Vodka - I used Ketel One Botanicals Peach & Orange Blossom vodka because I had it at home and it was absolutely amazing!! But any regular or citrus vodka would be delicious!
- Ginger Beer - Is it even a Moscow mule without ginger beer?? (Not to be confused with ginger ale).
- Orange Bitters - I like to add a dash or two of orange bitters to add a bit of complexity and enhance the flavor of the blood oranges, but you can leave them out if you prefer!
How to Make Blood Orange Simple Syrup
I always make my own simple syrup for cocktails because it's so easy and paying for it seems silly to me! You can also add in different herbs or fruit for a delightfully flavored simple syrup.
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- 5 blood orange slices (optional)
- Add the sugar, water, and blood orange slices to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Let cool completely to room temperature, then strain into a glass jar and seal tightly with a lid.
- Store in the fridge for up to a month!
cocktail serving tips
Shop this post!
If you make this blood orange thyme Moscow mule, please leave us a star rating and review at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers!
Blood Orange Thyme Moscow Mule
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce blood orange simple syrup, see post for instructions
- 1 ounce blood orange juice, about ½ orange
- 3 ounces ginger beer
- 1 dash orange bitters, optional
- blood orange slices
- fresh thyme
- Place 1-2 blood orange slices and a sprig of thyme into a glass. Use a muddler to gently crush the orange slices and thyme.
- Fill the glass halfway with ice. Pour the vodka, blood orange juice, and simple syrup over the ice and then fill the glass with ginger beer. Gently stir to combine.
- Top with a dash of orange bitters if desired and garnish with more blood orange slices and fresh thyme.
More Drink Recipes!
Browse more drink recipes →