This margarita is light, refreshing and made with cara cara oranges! Cara cara oranges are a variety of navel orange that are just SO good! They're slightly tangier than a classic navel orange and have the most beautiful, vibrant flesh! These margaritas can also be made with any type of oranges. Blood oranges are my second favorite choice!
- Tequila - My favorite tequila for cocktails is 1800 Silver Tequila but you can use whatever you prefer!
- Orange Liqueur - I love adding orange liqueur to margaritas always, but especially when it's an orange flavored marg! My favorite is Grand Marnier!
- Simple Syrup - You can add as little or as much simple syrup as you like! I like my margaritas to be pretty tangy but if you like it sweeter, definitely add more syrup! See my notes below for making your own cara cara orange simple syrup!
How to make Cara Cara Orange Simple Syrup
I always make my own simple syrup for cocktails because it's so easy and paying for it seems silly to me! You can also add in different herbs or fruit for a delightfully flavored simple syrup. Since we have leftover orange peels from squeezing out the cara cara orange juice, you can just add those in!
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- cara cara orange peels (optional)
- Add the sugar, water, and leftover cara cara orange peels to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Let cool completely to room temperature, then strain into a glass jar and seal tightly with a lid.
- Store in the fridge for up to a month!
Cocktail Serving Tips
I love my margaritas on the rocks with a salt rim, but you can easily make these frozen instead!
To make a salt rim, rub a small amount of lime juice, orange juice, or simple syrup along the edge of your glass. Pour a small amount of margarita salt (or kosher salt) on a plate and gently press the edges of the glass into the salt.
More Cocktail Recipes!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. And if you want more delicious, scratch-made recipes you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Cara Cara Orange Margarita
Cara Cara Margarita
- 1.5 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce orange liqueur, triple sec
- 1 ounce cara cara orange juice
- ½ ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce cara cara simple syrup, optional
- margarita salt
- crushed ice
- cara cara orange slices
- Stir together all ingredients. Taste and add simple syrup if desired.
- Pour into a salted-rimmed glass full of crushed ice. Garnish with a cara cara orange slice.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.