An ongoing debate in our house is about the difference between muffins and cupcakes. Kyle insists that since my muffins aren't "healthy" they are actually cupcakes. To which my response is that cupcakes are frosted and they don't have things mixed into the batter. But whatever you call them, these chocolate cherry muffins are delish!
I use fresh cherries in this recipe, so if you don't already have one I recommend getting a cherry pitter* unless you enjoy having purple fingernails for 3 days.
My favorite chocolate chips that I use for everything are the Ghirardelli Bittersweet Baking Chips*. The flavor is amazing and they melt beautifully!
If desired, sprinkle some Sparkling Sugar* to give your muffins some extra pizazz.
While I photography my muffins in this cute rustic pan, I definitely do not bake in it! For all my muffins and cupcakes I use my USA Pan muffin pan*. In fact, almost all of my baking pans are USA Pan because they are super high quality and durable. I highly recommend them!
If you like these muffins, you might also enjoy my orange cranberry muffins!
If you make these chocolate cherry muffins, please leave us a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. Happy baking!Print
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk (substitute whole milk)
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- sparkling sugar for topping
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and prepare you muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugar.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla, and almond extract and whisk until combined and smooth.
- In a separate small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add half of the dry ingredient mixture and stir until combined.
- Mix in the buttermilk. Then stir in the remaining dry ingredients.
- Gently stir in the cherries and chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into your muffin cups so that they are about ⅔ full. Sprinkle sparkling sugar over top of each muffin if desired.
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes for regular sized muffins. Rotate the pan about halfway through so that the muffins brown evenly.
For mini muffins reduce the baking time to 15 minutes.
Muffins will keep at room temperature in an airtight container or bread box for up to a week.
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 244
- Sugar: 16.8g
- Sodium: 179mg
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated Fat: 6.6g
- Carbohydrates: 33.6g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
Keywords: chocolate cherry muffins, homemade muffins, chocolate muffins, cherry muffins, fresh cherries recipes
More Muffin Recipes
Browse more muffin recipes →