Persimmons are my absolute favorite fall fruit! This hearty persimmon salad is topped with farro, cranberries, shallots, pecans, goat cheese and a homemade vinaigrette. It's the perfect fall salad to add to your Thanksgiving spread!
This is one of those recipes that's barely a recipe, but it's just too yummy not to share!
- Fuyu Persimmons - The persimmons are the star of the show! More on them below.
- Cranberries - Fresh cranberries are super tart but I just love them in salad! But if you don't like fresh cranberries, dried are delicious too!
- Farro - Cook farro according to package directions and let cool completely before adding to the salad.
- Shallots - Shallots have a delicate flavor that pairs great with persimmons, but you could also use red onion!
- Pecans - You could also substitute walnuts or almonds!
- Goat Cheese - I love the way the goat cheese mellows out the tartness from the fresh cranberries.
- Spinach - This salad is also delicious with spring mix or kale!
How to Choose Persimmons
There are two main types of persimmons that you're likely to see at the grocery store come October-Januray, hachiya and fuyu. Hachiya persimmons are elongated and shaped like a heart or acorn, they are very astringent before they are ripe and personally, I'm just not a fan. You don't want to eat them unless they are extremely soft (almost soupy on the inside).
Fuyu persimmons, however, are shaped like a tomato and have a delicately sweet flavor. They can be eaten when they are still very firm and are still delicious when they soften. I prefer them on the firmer side, especially for this salad. I recommend choosing fuyu persimmons that are very firm because then they will last at home for about two weeks if stored in the crisper draw in the fridge.
The Best Homemade Vinaigrette
This is my favorite super easy vinaigrette that I make for almost all my salads! Just throw all the ingredients in a mason jar and give it a good shake!
But if you prefer, you could also use a simple store-bought vinaigrette or balsamic for this persimmon salad!
More Recipes You Might Like!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. And if you want more delicious, scratch-made recipes you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
- 4 cups spinach, or mixed greens
- 3 fuyu persimmons, sliced
- 1 cup farro, cooked and cooled
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- ½ cup pecan halves
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a mason jar and seal tightly. Shake vigorously to combine. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors meld together.
- Toss together the the salad ingredients and lightly drizzle with the dressing.
- That's it!
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Browse more fall & winter recipes →