This hearty soup is perfect for winter! DC has been about 20 degrees recently so I've been in full soup mode. Kyle told me that he’s getting sick of all my “blended soups” (literally who hates on creamy butternut squash soup?!) so I made this creamy chicken and wild rice soup with crispy mushrooms and kale. It’s super flavorful and healthy too!
I use my homemade Vegetable Stock in this recipe because I always keep it on hand. It's super easy to make and doesn't cost a dime. However, store bought vegetable stock or chicken stock works just as well! Just note that you may need to reduce the salt content as store bought stock is often very salty.
The crispy mushrooms are optional, but add amazing flavor and texture to the soup! I just sauté the mushrooms in butter until they're nice and crispy and then add them back into the soup at the very end! But you can just add the mushrooms in with the rest of the vegetables if you prefer.
How to Make This Soup in the Crockpot
You can easily adapt this soup to be made in the crockpot instead of on the stove!
- Add in the butter, vegetables, chicken, wine, vegetable stock, thyme, and spices and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Add in the wild rice and let cook for another 20 minutes.
- Then add in the heavy cream and kale and let cook for about 5 minutes before serving.
Shop This Post!
If you make this chicken and wild rice soup, please leave us a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers.Print
Chicken and wild rice soup with mushrooms and kale is hearty, healthy, and the perfect winter meal!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- ½ cup white cooking wine (optional)
- 5 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- Heat the olive oil and butter together in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add in the sliced mushrooms and sauté until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add in the olive oil, onion, garlic, and carrots and sauté until aromatic and just starting to brown.
- Add in the chicken breasts and lightly sear for 2 minutes on each side.
- Pour in the wine to deglaze the pan and be sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom. Then add in the vegetable stock.
- Add in the wild rice, fresh thyme, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Bring the soup up to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat and let simmer for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred with a fork then add back into the soup.
- Add in the heavy cream, kale, and crispy mushrooms and simmer for another 5 minutes until the kale is just cooked.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
If you're using store bought stock, you may need to reduce the added salt!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Category: Dinner, Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 277
- Sugar: 4.2g
- Sodium: 150mg
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 23g
- Cholesterol: 66.5mg
Keywords: healthy soup, chicken wild rice soup, creamy chicken soup, mushroom wild rice soup, chicken and mushroom soup
More Soup Recipes You Might Like
Browse more soup recipes →