Nothing warms me up on a cold winter day like a hot toddy! Specifically this apple pie moonshine hot toddy infused with honey, lemon, and warming spices. Best of all, it comes together in just 5 minutes!
For a non-alcoholic winter drink, you might also like this homemade pumpkin spice latte!
What is a Hot Toddy?
A classic hot toddy is just hot water, some type of whiskey (scotch, bourbon, etc), honey and lemon! There are a lot of old wives tales about how hot toddies can cure a cold, but really they're just a delicious warming winter drink!
But for this fun apple pie moonshine version, we use apple cider instead of water, moonshine instead of whiskey, and add in some extra warming spices!
You only need 4 main ingredients and some optional garnishes!
- Apple Pie Moonshine - I love using this apple pie flavored moonshine in my hot toddies! But you can also use regular whiskey, bourbon, or scotch! Whatever your preference.
- Apple Cider - I use apple cider instead of hot water for a cozy, spiced cider cocktail!
- Honey - You can add as little or as much honey as you like so that the sweetness suits your preference! You also might need less honey based on how sweet your cider is.
- Spices - I love adding a combination of warming spices like cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise.
What is Moonshine
Moonshine is a high-proof alcohol similar to unaged whiskey. Moonshine gets its name because it was distilled illegally (often at night - hence the moon), but these days you can also buy legal moonshine!
Yes, 'legal moonshine' is a bit of a oxymoron, but it just refers to liquor that is distilled in the same way that traditional moonshine was, just at properly licensed distilleries instead of someone's backyard.
Some of my favorite legal moonshine is from Sugarlands Shine!
How to Make a Hot Toddy
In a saucepan over medium heat, add the apple cider, honey, lemon slices, cinnamon stick, star anise, and cloves.
Bring to a simmer and cook gently for about 5 minutes to let the flavors combine.
Remove from the heat and stir in the moonshine.
Pour into glass mugs and garnish with apple slices.
Cocktail Serving Tips
Many cocktail glasses are not heat-resistant, so make sure to use heat safe mugs when serving these hot toddies!
You can also warm your mug ahead of time so that your hot toddy stays nice and warm! Simply fill the mug with boiling water and let sit while you make the drinks. Then discard the water before adding in the apple pie hot toddy!
More Recipes You Might Like
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. And if you want more delicious, scratch-made recipes you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Apple Pie Hot Toddy
- 1 ½ cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons honey, more or less to taste
- ½ lemon, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 star anise
- 3 ounces apple pie moonshine, substitute your favorite whiskey, bourbon, or scotch
- apple slices, for garnish
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the apple cider, honey, lemon slices, cinnamon stick, star anise, and cloves.
- Bring to a simmer and cook gently for about 5 minutes to let the flavors combine.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the moonshine.
- Pour into glass mugs and garnish with apple slices.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.