One of my favorite springtime flavor combos is blackberry and lavender! These light, lavender cupcakes are filled with homemade blackberry jam and topped with lavender buttercream.
Where to Buy Lavender
I like to use both dried lavender flowers and lavender extract paste, but either will work on its own.
You can find dried lavender flowers* online and in some specialty grocery stores. Trader Joe's often has large bundles of dried lavender which is what I used for these photos! I also just keep it around my house at all times.
You can also find lavender extract paste* at most grocery stores and on amazon! Be warned, it's very strong so you only need a little bit.
homemade blackberry lavender jam
Making homemade blackberry jam is super easy! You only need a couple of ingredients!
- Fresh or frozen blackberries
- Granulated sugar
- Lemon juice
- Dried lavender or lavender extract
I recommend making the jam the night before you want to make the cupcakes so that it has time to fully cool. However, if you don't feel like making homemade jam, store-bought is fine! My favorite store-bought blackberry jam is Bonne Maman*.
cupcake decorating tips
- Make sure you let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting!!
- Use a cupcake corer* to easily remove the center of your cupcakes before filling with jam.
- To decorate all of my cakes and cupcakes, I use this Wilton Decorating Kit* and I love it! It’s super easy to use and has a ton of tips in different sizes. For these cupcakes, I used the 1M tip*.
- I used a tiny drop of purple food coloring to get this pretty lavender color. But you can also use a teaspoon of the blackberry jam for a more pink color.
- Garnish with fresh blackberries and sprigs of dried lavender.
More Cake & Cupcake Recipes!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. And if you want more delicious, scratch-made recipes you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Blackberry Lavender Cupcakes
Blackberry Lavender Jam
- 16 ounces blackberries, fresh or frozen
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lavender extract paste, or ½ teaspoon dried lavender flowers
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon lavender extract paste
- 1 drop purple food coloring, optional
Blackberry Lavender Jam
- I recommend making the jam the night before you want to make the cupcakes so that it has time to fully cool.
- Add all of the jam ingredients to a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Allow the jam to simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Transfer the jam to a glass jar and allow to cool to room temperature. Store in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the cake flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the melted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and lavender extract together until combined.
- Stir in about half of the flour mixture. Then stir in the milk and the rest of the flour mixture and mix until fully combined. The batter will be thin.
- Pour about ¼ cup of batter into each cupcake liner (they should be about halfway full).
- Bake at 350°F for 18-22 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack. Let cupcakes cool completely before filling and frosting.
- Use a cupcake corer to remove the center of each cupcake, then fill with 1-2 teaspoons of cooled blackberry jam.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the softened butter and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the lavender extract and purple food coloring. Beat the buttercream for 3-4 minutes on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. I used a Wilton 1M tip for these photos.