Ever wish you could have your margarita and eat it too? Well look no further than these boozy margarita cupcakes topped with tequila lime frosting! Perfect for Cinco de Mayo or just whenever you're craving a margarita. They are light, fluffy, and have them most amazing flavor!
I know what you're thinking. Tequila in a cupcake? Really? Trust me these are so good!
- Tequila - you can use any type of tequila to make these cupcakes! I use 1800 Silver Tequila because that's what I always have on hand to drink.
- Lime Zest - don't skimp on the lime zest in these cupcakes! Lime zest adds that wonderful lime flavor without making them too sour! You need the zest from about two limes for these cupcakes.
Please note that these cupcakes do contain alcohol so they may not be suitable for all ages!
cupcake decorating tips
- Make sure you let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting!!
- For extra margarita flavor, you can use a pastry brush to lightly brush a little bit tequila on top of the cupcakes before frosting!
- To decorate all of my cakes and cupcakes, I use this Wilton Decorating Kit* and I love it! It’s super easy to use and has a ton of tips in different sizes. For these margarita cupcakes, I used the 1M tip*.
- After frosting, garnish with lime zest and little lime slices.
More Cinco de Mayo Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. And if you want more delicious, scratch-made recipes you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12 cup pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the cake flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the melted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, lime zest, lime juice, and tequila together until combined.
- Stir in about half of the flour mixture. Then stir in the milk and the rest of the flour mixture and mix until fully combined. The batter will be thin.
- Pour about ¼ cup of batter into each cupcake liner (they should be about halfway full).
- Bake at 350°F for 18-22 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from cupcake pan and let cool on wire rack.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- Optional: pour 1 tablespoon of tequila into a small bowl and using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops of the cupcakes before frosting.
Tequila Lime Frosting
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the softened butter and cream cheese until completely smooth. Then add in the powdered sugar and beat on slow until combined.
- Slowly add in the lime juice, tequila, and salt until fully combined. Then beat the buttercream for 3-4 minutes on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. I used a 1M tip for these photos. Garnish with lime slices and lime zest.