The temperature is finally starting to drop in DC, which means it's time for pumpkin flavored everything!! I've never been a fan of pumpkin spice lattes (too sweet) but I do love a big slice of this brown butter pumpkin spice coffee cake with my boring plain latte!
You might also like my classic bourbon pumpkin pie!
This coffee cake has a layer of crunchy pecan streusel between two layers of spiced pumpkin cake. Then it's topped with more pecan streusel and a buttery glaze. It's seriously to-die-for.
I use bourbon vanilla extract in this pumpkin coffee cake because I love the added bourbon flavor, but regular vanilla works great too!
How to make brown butter
Browning the butter is optional but I highly recommend it! It adds that extra toasty, nutty flavor that just feels like fall! But if you don’t want to bother with brown butter, just use room temperature!
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Once melted, stir frequently and watch closely for the formation of brown specs on the bottom of the pan and a nutty aroma.
- Once you see brown specs, stir for just a few more seconds (it browns super quickly).
- Remove from the heat and immediately pour into a different bowl to prevent it from burning.
- Let the butter cool for about 10 minutes before using.
If you make this brown butter pumpkin spice coffee cake, please leave us a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. Happy baking!Print
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, browned
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch ground allspice
- pinch ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup plain full-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon bourbon vanilla
- Make brown butter: In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, stir frequently and watch closely for the formation of brown specs on the bottom of the pan and a nutty aroma. Once you see brown specs, stir for just a few more seconds as the butter will brown very quickly. Remove from the heat and immediately pour into a separate bowl to prevent burning. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a lightly greased 9x13 cake pan with parchment paper (for thicker pieces of coffee cake use a 9x9 pan).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the browned butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla until fully combined and smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Alternate folding in half of the dry ingredients and yogurt, then mix until just combined. The batter should be smooth and thick.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all of the streusel ingredients until it comes together and forms clumps. Use your hands to form larger clumps if desired.
- Spoon half of the coffee cake batter into the bottom of your pan and spread into a smooth layer. Sprinkle half of the streusel in an even layer over the batter. Top with the remaining batter and then sprinkle with the rest of the streusel.
- Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.If the streusel begins to brown too quickly, cover with foil for the remainder of the baking time.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the pan before removing.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and melted butter. Add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of the coffee cake and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Category: Dessert, Brunch
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin coffee cake, pumpkin recipes, brown butter coffee cake, easy brunch recipes
More pumpkin recipes
Browse more pumpkin recipes →