This post is sponsored by Maggi Marketplace, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Barley & Sage possible! As you know, we only partner with brands that we believe in and wholeheartedly recommend!
This parmesan risotto is one of my favorite meals to make when I want to impress someone. It’s super easy to make and has an amazing depth of flavor thanks to the NEW Maggi Marketplace Premium Vegetable Base! In just 30 minutes, you can have a rich, creamy risotto that is a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
The only downside to risotto is that it requires almost constant stirring for those 30 minutes. So I always just put my laptop on the kitchen counter and watch an episode of something on Netflix while I stir! And trust me when I say that this recipe is worth it. You’ll be so satisfied with the end product that you’ll want more!
This parmesan risotto is made almost entirely of pantry staples that I always keep on hand!
This recipe is best if you use rice that’s specifically for risotto! Risotto is traditionally made with short grain rice that has a high starch content. This is what gives risotto that super creamy texture! Arborio rice is most common but I’ve also made this recipe with loto rice and paella rice and it works great! But always double check the cooking instructions for your rice. This recipe uses a 1:4 rice to liquid ratio but if your rice uses a 1:3 ratio, you’ll want to reduce the water by 1 cup.
If you only have long grain rice on hand (like jasmine or basmati), you can still make this risotto! Just note that it will take a little longer to cook and won’t be quite as creamy. Follow the same instructions as below but use 3 cups of water instead.You can also add in ¼ cup of heavy cream towards the end to make it extra creamy.
This is completely optional but adds some great flavor to your risotto! I always keep cheap, dry white wine on hand that I use for cooking. It’s amazing how much flavor a $3 bottle of sauvignon blanc can add to a dish!
Maggi Marketplace Premium Vegetable Base
The Maggi Marketplace Premium Vegetable Base is the secret ingredient in this parmesan risotto! It’s a NEW bouillon base that makes cooking nice and easy but still delicious and super flavorful. It’s made from sautéed vegetables and contains no artificial flavors. You just need to use ¾ of a teaspoon for every cup of water in this recipe. It’s my favorite vegan substitute for chicken broth or chicken bouillon!
There’s nothing special about this ingredient, but there is something special about how we prepare it! When making risotto you add in the water a little bit at a time, so it’s super important to make sure that water is hot! You can heat it up in the microwave, bring it to a boil on the stove, or use an electric kettle (my preferred option). If the water isn’t hot, it will take much longer for the rice to absorb it which means your risotto will take much longer to cook.
I always have fresh herbs in my kitchen thanks to my Aerogarden, but you can substitute the fresh thyme with dried if that’s what you have! This recipe would also be delicious with fresh or dried sage, basil, or rosemary.
More savory recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. And if you want more delicious, scratch-made recipes you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Simple Parmesan Risotto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 3 teaspoons Maggi Marketplace Premium Vegetable Base
- ½ cup white cooking wine, optional
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, substitute dried
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, heat the water over medium heat until simmering (you can also heat the water in the microwave or with an electric kettle). Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet or stockpot, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium-low heat, then add in the diced onions and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until soft and fragrant.
- Add in the rice and toast, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes. Then add in the Maggi Marketplace Premium Vegetable Base and stir to coat the rice. Cook for another 2 minutes then add in the wine to de-glaze the pan and make sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Add in ½ cup of the warmed water and the fresh thyme and stir until completely absorbed, then add in another ½ cup of water and repeat. Continue to add in the water ½ cup at a time until it's all absorbed and the rice is fully cooked and tender.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese then taste and add salt and pepper if desired.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Browse more savory recipes →