Risotto is one of my favorite things to make when I want to impress someone. It’s super easy to make, has amazing depth of flavor, and just seems fancier than other side options. It's also extremely versatile! My favorite variations are butternut squash risotto and this creamy mushroom risotto!
The only downside is that it does require almost constant stirring for about 30-40 minutes. I’ve solved this problem by setting my laptop on the kitchen counter and just binging some Netflix while I stir. Otherwise, this recipe is seriously so easy and so so good.
I use shiitake and cremini mushrooms because that's what I like! But if you prefer other mushrooms, feel free to make the swap!
Make sure to use rice that's specifically for risotto! Arborio rice is most common but I've also made this recipe with loto rice and it worked great! But always double check the cooking instructions for you rice. This recipe uses a 1:4 rice to liquid ratio but if your rice uses a 1:3 ratio, you'll want to reduce the vegetable stock by 1 cup.
Speaking of....I highly recommend using a good vegetable stock instead of water for this recipe because it just adds so much good flavor! If you've never made your own homemade vegetable stock, make sure to check out my post all about it!
This mushroom risotto is already vegetarian but you can also make it vegan by just omitting the Parmesan! It’s still creamy and tasty without the cheese! But if you eat cheese then you should DEFINITELY add the cheese. Trust me.
More Recipes You Might Like
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. And if you want more delicious, scratch-made recipes you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock, substitute chicken stock or water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced or pressed
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ½ cup white cooking wine
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium pot, heat your vegetable stock over medium heat until simmering (you can also use a microwave if you're lazy). Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet or stockpot, melt the butter with the olive over medium-high heat then add in the sliced shiitake mushrooms. Saute for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and lightly crispy. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add in the cremini mushrooms, shallots, and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Add in the rice and toast, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes. Then add in the white wine to de-glaze the pan and make sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Add in ½ cup of the warmed vegetable stock and the fresh thyme and stir the risotto until completely absorbed, then add in another ½ cup and repeat. Continue to add in the stock ½ cup at a time until it's all absorbed and the rice is fully cooked.
- Stir in the Parmesan. Then taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Top with the crispy shiitakes and enjoy!
Browse more mushroom recipes →