The best part of having a sourdough starter is getting to make all sorts of fun recipes with the discard! I just made these sourdough pumpkin pancakes and now I'm on to this sourdough pumpkin bread! It's absolutely delicious and perfect for fall!
Don’t have a sourdough starter? Never fear! Just check out my Sourdough Guide for all my tips and tricks!
Prepare Loaf Pan
I love all of my USA Pan* cake pans because they are extremely sturdy and truly nonstick. However, I still like to prepare my pans to ensure the cake comes out easily.
Cut a parchment paper sling slightly smaller than the width of the pan and make sure it fits flatly in the bottom. Then lightly spray the bottom and sides of the pan with a vegetable oil based spray (I love Bakers Joy* or Everbake). Place you parchment paper sling in the bottom of the pan and smooth it out so that it sticks to the pan spray.
If you make this sourdough pumpkin bread, please leave us a star rating at the bottom of the page! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. Happy baking!Print
- ½ cup (113 grams) sourdough discard
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- roasted pumpkin seeds for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare your loaf pan. Cut a parchment paper sling slightly smaller than the width of the pan and make sure it fits flatly in the bottom. Then lightly spray the bottom and sides of the pan with a vegetable oil based spray (I love Bakers Joy* or Everbake). Place you parchment paper sling in the bottom of the pan and smooth it out so that it sticks to the pan spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sourdough discard and milk until the discard beings to dissolve. Add in the eggs, pumpkin puree, molasses, and vanilla and whisk until fully combined.
- Mix in the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and all the spices.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and sprinkle pumpkin seeds over the top of the batter if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Then use the parchment sling to remove the pumpkin bread from the pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sourdough pumpkin bread, pumpkin bread, sourdough discard recipes, pumpkin seeds
More fall recipes
Browse more fall recipes →